Holt-Delhi Historical Society

Established 2014

History of Holt Schools

"The earliest school to have been taught in Delhi Township appears to have been the Delhi Center or Holt School. The first teaching in the township occurred in the cabin of George Phillips. The schoolhouse was built of logs about 1840, and replaced by a frame building in 1852. Miss Lydia Wells taught in Phillips' cabin; she also taught the first two terms in the log school at the Center."

"The Bicentennial History of Ingham County, Michigan" by Ford Caesar

"In 1875, a brick building was built to replace the frame building of 1852. It was a two-story structure, of red brick, with an ornate cupola for the bell. The cost of construction and furnishings came to roughly $2,300. The primary grades, one through six, were housed on the first floor, while the intermediate pupils, seventh and eighth, were on the second story. Two teachers were hired for the forty to sixty pupils. This school was the largest in the area with the Maple Grove school located on M-99 the second... Disaster for the schools struck on November 11, 1914, when the red brick school building burned to the ground."


"A meeting was called by the District Board consisting of the following men on December 19, 1914: J.J. Manz, H.E. Gunn, J.D. Thorburn, George Wilcox, and C.V. Keller. These five men voted to approve an eight-thousand dollar loan to build a new school house. When the recommendation was presented to the voters it passed by a 54-12 majority. The new school was built on the site of the old building in 1915... The building consisted of three classrooms with additional classroom space available in the basement. It opened in the fall of 1915. 

In 1923, after the seventh millage vote passed, an addition was built across the front of the school consisting of three classrooms, an office and hall on the first floor, an assembly room, chemistry laboratory and one classroom on the second floor.


Additional classroom space was added in 1926, with a wing built on the west side of the building consisting of four classrooms on both the first and second stories.


In 1925-1926, Holt added 12th grade to its curriculum! 

In 1935 an addition consisting of the gym, cafeteria and four classrooms was built. This work was done by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a federal agency for the alleviation of unemployment during the Depression years.

Midway

"By 1948... a building and site fund millage was passed, which provided for the building of Midway School on Spahr Avenue. Its doors were opened in the fall of 1949, thus beginning a new era of education for Holt. The school had changed from the old village school concept (three room, seventy-five students, five teachers) to over 1,000 students housed in two buildings with thirty-five teachers. Midway first consisted of seven classrooms, with later additions in 1954, 1956, 1960 and 1967."

Elliott & Sycamore

"Another bond issue passed in the fall of 1952 for $360,000 which was used to build sycamore and Elliott schools, both of which opened in the fall of 1953. Elliott school was named for a much-loved teacher in Holt, Miss Tessa Elliott. Miss Elliott came to Holt in 1918 and taught for the following thirty-eight years [until 1956]. She commanded the respect of two generations of Holt children and taught perhaps as many as 1,200 students in her years in Holt."

The portrait of Tessa Elliott (right) hangs in Elliott Elementary School. It was originally a gift of the Elliott PTA in 1958. After having been removed for many years, the portrait was restored by the Holt-Delhi Historical Society and the Holt Alumni Association and returned to its home in the school in 2017. 

Additional growth was constant during the 1950s and early 1960s. Further additions were made to the elementary schools, and in 1955-57 a new high school was constructed. The cost of the building was $1,000,000. Although originally designed as a campus style outlay, the buildings have since been joined together, with remodeling and additions continuing to the present. The formal dedication was held in October, 1959, with Gov. G. Mennen "Soapy" Williams, as the guest speaker. 

The then-former high school building at Holt Road and Park Lane became the Junior High School from 1959 through the fall of 1976. [changed] to the 6-7 Middle School.

"In 1962, the voters of the Holt and Dimondale School Districts voted favorably on a merger by annexation proposition. The former Dimondale High School was razed after the merger and is currently the site of the Windsor Township Library. The Dimondale Elementary School on Walnut Street accommodates the students from the former Dimondale Schools and part of the Maple Grove and outlying Holt areas. The building was built in 1956, with additions in 1961, 1963, and 1965."


The Holt High School building at Aurelius Road and Sycamore Road underwent extensive renovations during 1963-64. The four campus style buildings were connected and a cafeteria, music room, shop room, special education unit, and a home economics wing were added.

The Island School District merged with the Holt School District in 1965. The Education Center, which housed administrative offices, was added to the Holt School District in 1966 on Spahr Avenue. 


Wilcox Elementary School was built in 1968.


"In 1970, additions were again under construction at the Senior High School. The addition included the pool, auditorium, music rooms and classrooms. 


In 1972, the auditorium was dedicated to Dr. Maurice Pernert, who had been Superintendent of Schools from 1958 until his untimely death [in 1972]. The newly constructed athletic field and facilities were dedicated in September in 1972, to Dr. Frank Troost, who had been the team physician for thirty-four years, from 1930 to 1964." 

The portrait (left) originally hung in the lobby outside Pernert Auditorium. It was removed for many years due to damage and was returned to its home at the Auditorium in 2018 after a restoration effort by the Holt-Delhi Historical Society and the Holt Alumni Association. 

In 1975 a new building was added to the Holt School District. It originally housed grades 8 and 9 and opened in the fall of 1976. It is located on West Holt Road. From 2003 to 2016, the building served as Holt High School's Ninth Grade Campus. It is presently known as the Holt High School North Campus, housing Holt's 12th grade class. 


In 1982, the old school building (originally built in 1915) was razed and as a new school building was built on the site. The new Bernard L. Hope Middle School opened in 1982. The school was dedicated to Mr. Hope, a Holt alumnus, athletic record holder, and longtime Board of Education president, after his death in 1980. 


In 1993, the Holt School District added two new buildings. Washington Woods Middle School and Horizon Elementary School. There were also district-wide renovations in 1993.


The most recent addition to the Holt School District was the 'new' Holt High School building on West Holt Road in 2003. 

Principals of Holt High School

name
 Dates
Mr. David S. Yape
 1909-1910
 Mr. Paul Straight
 1926-1927
 Mr. Charles H. Mann
 1928-1931
 Mr. Keith B. Odle
 1932-1933
 Mr. Stuart L. Openlander
 1934-1938
 Mr. Wesley E. Black
 1938-1945
 Mr. Barret Vorce
 1948-1952
 Mr. Ronald B. Sage
 1952-1955
 Mr. Robert Schieffer
 1955-1959
 Mr. John Wellington
 1959-1966
 Mr. Merritt Chandler Nauts
 1966-1974
 Mr. Paul Jolly
 1974-1985
 Mr. Tom Davis
 1985-1993
 Mr. Brian Templin
 1993-2013
 Mr. Michael Willard
 2013-

Superintendents of Holt Schools

Name
 Dates
Mr. Larned Goodrich
 1923-1936
Mr. Titus T. Wilt
 1936-1938
Mr. Stuart L. Openlander
 1938-1945
Mr. Benton Yates
 1945-1951
Mr. Rex B. Smith
 1951-1958
Dr. Maurice Pernert
 1958-1971
Dr. Donald Shebuski
 1971-1978
Dr. Henry Sienkiewicz
 1978-1987
Dr. Mark Maksimowicz
 1987-1997
Mr. Tom Davis
 1997-2008
Dr. Johnny Scott
 2008-2015
Dr. David Hornak
 2015-

More information on the history of Holt Public Schools is available upon request.