4410 W. Holt Rd.
Holt, MI 48842
Built around 1947, the Holt Community Center was originally a private residence. An early owner was Mr. Edward Tase of Jackson. It was purchased in 1948 by Clarence "Bud" and Irene Magee from an out of town builder, likely Mr. Tase. Bud Magee was the owner and operator of longtime Delhi Township business Bud's Auto Parts. The Magees owned the home into the 1960s.
For a period in the 1960s, the home was owned by S.M. Bowerman. In 1967, the home was purchased by the Rollen Sanderson family. The Sandersons lived in the home until 1978. They sold the home to prominent Lansing developer Francis Fine and Southfield developing company Amurcon Corp. in December 1978. Fine offered the former home to Delhi Township if a fitting use could be found. Fine and Amurcon's interest in the home was for its property, on which the Tamarack Apartments were built. It was originally slated for demolition.
Delhi Township supervisor Billie Dowell saw the structure as a possible home for the Delhi Township Library. Fine agreed and the home was donated to Delhi Township. It took two years and much fundraising to make the library a reality. A major addition was added to the west side of the building. Many costs were saved through donations and labor organized by Township Trustee Paul Goulet.
In May 1980, the new Holt-Delhi Branch of the Ingham County Library System opened. Prior to this, the Holt Library was located in the former Holt United Methodist Church building since 1970. With the new library's opening, Holt had its first barrier free library with public restrooms. The Holt-Delhi Library remained in the building until 1996, when it moved around the corner to its current location in the Delhi Township Hall, 2074 Aurelius Road.
After 1996, the building sat vacant for several years. It was the home to Little League Child Care for a number of years in the early and mid-2000s. It then sat vacant and fell into disrepair for many years.
Delhi Charter Township and the Delhi Charter Township Downtown Development Authority purchased the building in 2017. After a year and a half of renovations, the building opened in August 2018 as the Holt Community Center. Home to the office of the Delhi Downtown Development Authority, who generously provide office space to the Holt-Delhi Historical Society.